Prepare yourself for an exquisite culinary experience with our irresistible recipe for Pan-Fried Apple Hand Pies. These delectable treats embody the essence of sweet indulgence, seamlessly blending a crispy golden crust with a luscious apple filling. Whether you seek a nostalgic dessert or desire to captivate a crowd, our Fried Apple Pies are guaranteed to satisfy your cravings. Each delightful bite transports you to a realm of heavenly flavors – warm apples intertwined with fragrant spices, all encapsulated within a flawlessly fried pastry shell. So don your apron and join us in creating these mouthwatering delights that are destined to be the highlight of any gathering or simply bring warmth and comfort as you savor them alone.
Pan-Fried Apple Hand Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening chilled
- ½ cup cold water
- Apple Filling:
- 2 apples – peeled cored and diced
- ¼ cup white sugar or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon or to taste
- 1 quart oil for frying or as needed
- Prepare yourself for a delightful culinary adventure as we introduce our recipe for homemade Fried Apple Pies! We’ll begin by making the pastry. In a large bowl, carefully sift together flour and salt. Then, using two knives or a pastry blender, diligently cut in the shortening until the mixture takes on the appearance of coarse crumbs.
- Now is the time to add cold water. Take it slow, one tablespoon at a time. While adding, use a fork to toss the mixture, making sure the flour gets moistened evenly. Take care not to add excess water beyond what’s needed. Here’s a helpful tip: check if the moistened pastry mixture forms into a solid ball when squeezed in your hand. Once done, wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, take a moment to prepare the delectable filling. Begin by placing the apples in a saucepan and combining sugar and cinnamon for added sweetness. Gently pour this delightful mixture over the apples, ensuring they are evenly coated. Allow the apples to cook on low heat while covered until they reach a soft and tender consistency. Once achieved, use a fork to skillfully mash them into a velvety smooth applesauce that is rich and enticing. Finally, set this tantalizing creation aside to cool.
- Once the dough has rested, it can be rolled out on a lightly floured surface until achieving a thickness of about 1/8-inch. To create uniform rounds, individuals can use a large cookie cutter to cut out eight rounds with a diameter of 4 inches from the rolled dough.
- Now it’s time to dive into the exciting part! Begin by placing a generous tablespoon of the prepared applesauce right in the middle of each pastry round. Gently moisten the edges with cold water, then fold the pastry in half and firmly press the edges together using a fork to create a tight seal. Repeat this process with the remaining pastry rounds and filling until you have a delightful batch of Fried Apple Pies ready for cooking perfection.